BLOG ARCHIVE

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Lenses

Lenses, well its that time again when I blow some money on a nice new red ringed canon lens. The condenders are the 24 1.4L, 35 1.4L and the 50 1.2L. I used the 35 1.4L and I must admit I did like shooting with it, the 85 1.2L was the other lens I played with and by far its the best portrait lens I have shot with. This thing makes people look like supermodels I mean the bokeh is really smooth and skin tones are out of this world. Unfortunately it is out of my price range, so back on topic.

I wanted a lens that will be my "go to" lens, one that pretty much stays on the camera when I want to travel light. It's my new thing now, trying to shoot light and with minimal gear. Recently I got really into the whole shooting with flashes, so of course you need your triggers, umbrellas and light stands I mean it's a must right? Well no I found more and more wanting to shoot in natural light with no flashes, and actually making an effort to find locations where I shoot. A few people influnced this and I must say Nattnee and Ben probably got me rethinking the way I shoot. That ultimately part of the fun right? To try different techniques and to challenge yourself.

With the 3 lenses above here are my thoughts on them. The 24 1.4L, canons new 24 and it has been getting really good reviews on them. The thing I am after the next lens is something I can shoot candids, portraits, couple shots. I am a little worried this lens might be too wide for me. Also another thing I am wondering is if this lens has any barrel distortion. My 17-40 on a full frame (5dmk2) distorts like a freak at a circus on the edges of the frame. The 35 1.4 after using this lens I am leaning towards this a bit. I liked that I can shoot a little tighter to the subject than I normally do. It also creates really nice creamy bokeh. Doing a tight full portait is also possible with this lens. I couldnt see barrell distortion in this lens either. This would also be a great lens for indoors in tighter situations. Last but not least the 50 1.2L this is for quite a few wedding photographers the go to lens for them. I have however seen mixed reviews on the quality of the lens itself. I had a play with the 50 1.4 a few weeks ago and for the money this is a great lens. The bokeh is a bit harsh compared to the fast L's but its a lot better than the 50 1.8. I have heard of back focus issues with the 50 1.2L which is one of the reasons why I am a little hessitant. I will be going down to wollongong later this month for a workshop and I think I might drop by Gavins place and have a quick go at his 50 1.2L. I will update as soon as try it out. Anyways I figure blog posts are not fun without photos so here are a few pics from our trip to Japan.

Monkey1

Monkey2

No comments:

Post a Comment